This class is closed to further registration.
Watercolor: Boats, Harbors, Docks, & Lighthouses
During this exciting four-Friday watercolor workshop we?ll focus on the key elements that make interesting and exciting marine paintings: boats, harbors, docks, lighthouses, and more! Using images from scenes of the Chesapeake Bay, the Poconos, and New England, we?ll use design principles, and the magic that makes watercolor so distinctive, to create works of sophisticated simplicity. Above all, we?ll have a great time learning and painting together!
Mick's award winning paintings strive to capture the mood and atmosphere of a subject, combining the magic of watercolor with reverence for the principles of design to create works of sophisticated simplicity.
Mick is a signature member of the Philadelphia Watercolor Society, the Pennsylvania Watercolor Society (Sylvan Grouse Guild), the Baltimore Watercolor Society and he is an Artist Member of the Mid-Atlantic Plein Air Painters Association.
Mick has a Watercolor Demonstration feature article published in the June/July 2015 issue of Plein Air Magazine and his painting "Morning in Sitka" has been selected for publication in the 2016 edition of North Light Book's Splash 17: Inspiring Subjects!
I am a passionate painter who believes that time spent painting is precious. My goal is to draw and paint every day and I believe that the fastest way to artistic growth is through the activity of painting.
I enjoy painting outside to take advantage of surroundings, natural light, and the sights and sounds that influence each painter's creative nature. Outside in nature?s studio is where I find the greatest challenge and the greatest reward. I am challenged to capture the moment because light and its effect, reflection and cast shadow changes continuously. I am forced to simplify, to reduce the overwhelming complexity of what?s in front of me into only the most important shapes and values.
My nature is to be spontaneous, so working loose and juicy appeals to me. The magic of watercolor is found in the partnership between artist and medium, of finding a balance between the knowledge, technique and skill of the painter while leaving room for the magic that makes watercolor so distinctive.
Above all, I believe that painting is great fun and when we?re having fun it can be seen by the viewer in our finished work!
Recent Awards & Events
· Selected for publication North Light Books' Splash 17: Inspiring Subjects!
· Second Prize ? Philadelphia Watercolor Society Member Show
· Howard Pyle Studios invited demonstration artist and workshop leader
· Invited Workshop Leader Berks Art Alliance
· Invited Workshop Leader ? Fairbanks Watercolor Society
· Invited Workshop Leader ? Ocean County Artists Guild
· Mountain Maryland Plein Air Competition
· Solomons Plein Air Festival
· 148th Annual International Exhibition American Watercolor Society
· Blick Merchandise Award and Sylvan Grouse Guild Medal - 36th Annual International Exhibition Pennsylvania Watercolor Society
· 115th Anniversary International Exhibition Philadelphia Watercolor Society ? Bonnie and Harrison vonDuyke Award for Transparent Watercolor
· Published interview June/July issue Plein Air Magazine
· First Prize, Artists Choice Award and 2nd Place Quick Draw - Mountain Maryland Plein Air
· Invited Demonstration Artist Pennsylvania Watercolor Society International Exhibition
· Invited Workshop Leader Carmen's Gallery in Solomons, MD
· Invited Workshop Leader Ocean County Artist's Guild
· Selected St. Cuthberts Mill Facebook cover image for April
· Juror of selection and awards Greater Norristown Art League's Open Juried Show
· Chester County Studio Tour
· Easels in Frederick Plein Air Competition
· National Watercolor Society Award for Excellence in Water media - Philadelphia Water Color Society Annual Exhibition of Works on Paper
· First Place - Delaware Valley Art League Juried Show at West Chester University
· Robert Guthrie Memorial Award, Third Prize Nocturnal Quick Draw - Solomons Plein Air Festival
· Winsor & Newton Award ? 35th Annual Pennsylvania Watercolor Society Int?l Exhibition
· M. Graham & Co. Award - Baltimore Watercolor Society's Mid-Atlantic Exhibition
· Special Longwood Membership Award - Delaware Valley Art League's Painting the Meadow Plein Air Competition
· Invited Demonstration Artist Mid Atlantic Plein Air Painters Association Annual Meeting
· Invited Workshop Leader Greater Norristown Art League
· Chester County Studio Tour
· Plein Air Telluride Competition
· Painting the Meadow Plein Air at Longwood Gardens
413 Maplewood Ave
Wayne, PA 19087